- Internet Explorer has made an ad that isn’t awful (and doesn’t feature dubstep). Still have no desire to use IE. Video below.
- Vivienne Westwood is working with The English National Ballet on its latest rebrand. She’s cool so I’m hoping for good things [link]
- A French man has made a very cool web CV in the style of Amazon. It’s kind of convoluted and a pain to get information from but cool idea [link]
- Incorrect video game blamed (also incorrectly?) for a murder in Germany [link]
- A handsome ass Shibu Inu will teach you how to dress [link]
- Some New York restaurants are banning food photography. Good [link]
- Hilda, an 85 year-old gaming granny, has topped BBC Breakfast’s soft news list by being an 85 year-old gaming granny [link]
- Brick Lane has gone 8-bit to mark the release of Wreck-it Ralph (which I could have sworn was released months ago) [link]
- Tesco, horses, burgers. It’s everywhere and it’s boring.
- Series 4 of Face Off has started and it’s absolutely amazing and you should definitely watch it even though you’ve never heard of it.
- There’s a building in Paris with a giraffe walking through it [link]
- LIVE ACTION TOY STORY
Do you remember the Pronunciationmanual videos from last year? You know the ones, the videos with comically mispronounced brands and celebrity names. Granted, some were better than others (especially Justin Bieber and haute couture) but it was pretty funny while it lasted*. It even made it on to the Ellen Show (11 months ago) so you know it was really a ‘thing’.
Well, ever on top of pop culture trends an ad agency has created a version teaching us how to (mis)pronounce the big players in the advertising game. It’s about as funny as a Call Me, Maybe?/Gangnam parody (ie not at all) but people seem to like it. Check it out for yourself and then waste half an hour on the Pronunciation manual channel.
*turns out they’re still making them with a few updates every month
- A labradoodle groomed to look like a lion has been confused for a labrador-sized lion in Virginia [link]
- Some illustrators have put together a video showing the evolution of Nintendo consoles. Video below.
- Damien Hirst has designed this year’s statuette for the BRIT awards. It’s pretty cool [link]
- McDonald’s is giving away 15 millions books as Happy Meal ‘toys’ [link]
- A new pair of Pokemon games is coming to the 3DS in October. I am so excited I can’t even [link]
- More tumblrs, this time for people who like things organised neatly and things organised neatly in the case of a hypothetical fire.
I bloody love a good print/press/whatever you can them ad. That moment flipping through a magazine when you can’t quite get past a page; you stop, turn the page and flip back to to take it all in. It’s just as good as that feeling walking past a bus stop, doing a double take and shuffling backwards to have another look. Maybe that’s just me and I’m more easily pleased/simple than I thought.
It’s why I absolutely love the ads below for Expedia with phrases made up from luggage tags. It’s so simple you can hardly believe it hasn’t been done before but that same simplicity makes me just sit and stare. Word on the street/Ben Kay’s blog is that the ads are limited run and have been made just to be entered into awards (where I imagined they’d do pretty well).
The Bon Voi Age ad is my favourite by far (despite the spelling). I actually kind of hate the ‘wish you were here’ one but thought it was worth including. You can see the rest on the Creative Review site.
- American Horror Story – The Asylum has only gone and done the best scene on TV. After being asked her name, Judy, played my Jessica Lange, hallucinates the scene embedded below. It’s pretty incredible.
- The best, or maybe easiest, job ever has just come up. As long as you like cats and and/or cats being on your lap [link]
- A very drunk man on a plane had to be restrained in a very funny way [link]
- A Brazilian cat has been arrested in Brazil for smuggling Brazilian contraband into a Brazilian prison [link]
- A Twitter user, @FindPregnantDog, is using the site (and ALLCAPS) to find a pregnant dog for a kids’ TV show. For some reason I find this absolutely hilarious.
- I found some nice tumblrs. They are: AbandonedPorn (incredible photos of abandoned places), TheLookingGlass (a Disney curated site of photos from their various parks) and PatternBase (a collection of very cool, often headache inducing patterns).
PS I don’t like cats even half as much as it appears